Daggaboy Blog on Facebook Daggaboy Blog on YouTube Daggaboy Blog on Photobucket Email Daggaboy Blog

Tuesday 6 March 2012

So which cartridge for the The Hornet Project?

So I've been doing a bit of research into what might be a suitable cartridge for The Hornet Project. Other than the need for a rimmed cartridge, there are not too many prerequisites.  Of course, nothing "big" as I really don't want to get too close my .220 Swift.

I've complied a list of interesting cartridges - a wildcat would be my preference.  At the top end are chamberings based on the .30/30 Winchester case; probably too big, but I thought it might be worth exploring with names like the .219 Zipper or the .219 Donaldson Wasp!


Best define the task before I take this any further.  So we're calling it a small pest or "varmint" hunting rifle for ranges of 200 - 300 yards; so a bit further than the old .22 Hornet can stretch, but not treading on the toes of the Swift, the .22/250 or the .219's listed above. We know it's a single shot as the action is sitting on the shelf already. I'm quite keen on a rifle with some weight - so not a walk about rifle - which means a bipod will probably be part of the furniture (not being a huge fan of the bipod on a hunting rifle). So a heavy, accurate rifle, sitting on bipods, a high power variable scope for the long range sniping and ultimately we might want to see some misting - so low recoil for maximum visibility on target engagement would be a plus.

So the Hornet as a parent case it is! 


I had a great chat with Tony Argent of TSE Engineering about barrel options for this project at the recent SCI Convention.  By the end of that discussion, I was thinking that a stainless steel barrel left at "blank profile" with a scallop machined into each side to mate with the flat action sides might be the go. No fancy fluting; just straight. Tony liked the sound of it as much as I did.

Also having a chat with Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. about some of the Hornet wildcat reamers they have blueprints for in case it gets difficult to find something usable down the road. I do have a local contact who might be able to help out with an exotic reamer, so next step is to tee up a get together to see what he's got in his cupboard.

Bit more research for now as any spare funds have been redirected to the elephant hunt rather than this project.  Maybe I'll have chosen a case and possibly even start some of the smithing before the safari?
 



No comments:

Post a Comment