Daggaboy Blog on Facebook Daggaboy Blog on YouTube Daggaboy Blog on Photobucket Email Daggaboy Blog

Saturday 4 February 2012

A day out with the Anschutz

A mate of mine has found himself the owner of a very desirable stately residence in the rolling green hills of the Southern Highlands. Amongst Joe's many new responsibilities, which include slashing paddocks and pulling fireweed, is vertebrate pest control.  Joe's most recent acquisition, an Anschutz Model 1730 chambered in .22 Hornet is going to be his primary tool for fox control. The Anschutz and a tin whistle.


The Anschutz is a fine looking rifle. It feels good in my hands, well balanced.  Wood to metal fit is lovely and the metal is very nicely finished, both inside and out. Plastic bits? There's a plastic moulding on the magazine release and the knob on the bolt handle is machined from plastic as well; I don't quite understand the bolt knob, but I guess the bluing won’t wear off?  Optics. Not one to skimp, Joe's little Hornet wears an Austrian Kahles 3-9 x 40mm with a post and duplex reticle; very nice.



Joe needed the rifle sighted-in as it was a bit noisy for plugging away a box or two of ammo on his block.  The Stockade had a few boxes of Highland AX so I grabbed them on the way home from the office and headed out to the farm with the girls. The girls are quite comfortable with gunfire and with their little earmuffs on, they giggle at the crack of a rifle.  Good times with dad…

With sandbags set up across the bonnet, I fired about 40 rounds down by the woolshed. Once the Anschutz was printing where I wanted I focused on consistent grouping.   


The biggest group for the morning just touched an inch; that’s totally me, I’m not very passionate about punching paper. The tightest group went 0.295”. 


So this little Anschutz certainly has the goods, but I’m not too keen on a bolt-action repeater for this project.  And is the Hornet the exotic little mid-range varminter I’m looking for? Hmmm…The .22 Hornet made its commercial debut around 1930 and was a “new round” simply because it used smokeless powder in the much older blackpowder case – the .22 Winchester Center Fire (WCF). The .22 WCF had been around since 1885. I suppose it was one of the first high velocity small bore cartridges designed primarily for varmint hunting. Exotic? Probably not.

I’ve been looking around at the cartridge options based on a rimmed case, preferably based on the Hornet, but as long as it’s rimmed I’m happy. SO what’s out there?  Without too much effort I found the well-known .22 K-Hornet and the .22 Ackley Improved.  In addition to these improved chamberings, I also found the following; some common and others not so:

  • .17 Hornet, .17 Ackley Hornet;
  • .17 Ackley Bee, .17 Bumble Bee;
  • .19 Calhoon (Hornet); 
  • .218 Bee, .218 Mashburn Bee;
  • the Squirrel range - .17, .19 and .20 cal;
  • .219 Donaldson Wasp, .219 Zipper and .219 Zipper Improved;
  • .22 Long Snapper; and the
  • .222 Rimmed; 

What my time with the Anschutz Hornet did confirm was that this little cartridge has the report and recoil that will make the rifle a joy to shoot. A rifle with some weight will keep the rifle steady and a high cheek piece with a bit of rollover will bring the scope up nicely.

  
Best do some research on these calibres and makes some decisions. No work has started, but the search for a suitable action continues. Hopefully the The Greengrass Antique and Modern Arms Fair in February will yield some results.


2 comments:

  1. On the subject of fox shooting, I see you've mounted a speaker on the front of the Hilux... perhaps more succesful than the battery powered device that packed it in with narry a tin whistle around to replace it!

    I think the .222 Rimmed is a case worth considering. Ballistically, probably one of the more hard-hitting options out of those choices, and realistically, noise and recoil is going to be as pleasant as the Hornet. You aren't going to be getting anywhere near .223 Rem or .222 Rem velocities but that isn't the idea of it.

    The other thing is that the actual cartridges are going to be easy to be loading by hand. I don't know what your thoughts are on the subject but I think the idea of slipping individual rounds in is somewhat fraught with danger with a tiny cartridge in the middle of a large grassy paddock on a damp night! With the .222 you've got something to hang on to. That being said I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the other cartridges you've mentioned.

    The thing that is turning me off getting a .17 Hornet myself is that the bloody cases would be so tiny that I can see myself throwing them across the room while doing some reloading... the .223 Rem annoys me enough as it is sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The speaker went on late last July when Clay came out from Texas. It’s hooked up to an amp under the seat and really makes some noise. We went out calling foxes but it was deathly cold and impossibly foggy when we got out to the farm so we chatted for a bit, had a couple of coffees and came home in time for a nap. It all got a bit crackly last time I took it out in December so I’m going to rewire it to hopefully clear up the “noise”.

    The .222 Rimmed is on my shortlist but the case length is not far off that of my Swift and I’m looking to keep it small – so the .222 Rimmed is an outsider. I want to better the performance of the .22 WMR but no pint trying to catch up to the Swift – got one of those if I need it!

    The .17 Hornet is the logical answer, but I really do want to stick to a wildcat if I can. Just for fun!

    ReplyDelete